Thursday, January 21, 2010

Berkeley Time

I sat with my new friend C in the Anth. library of Berkeley. C told me that she was going to a class at 3 pm in the same building. When I looked at my watch, I found it was already 3:05pm and she was still slowly packing her stuffs.

"Aren't you afraid of being late for the class?" I asked.

"Oh, I won't be late." She answered.

"Hey, it is already past 3!"

"Oh~~~not according to the Berkeley time." She said.

"What time?"

"Berkeley time."

What is Berkeley time? She explained to me that in Berkeley, all the activities start 10 minutes later than scheduled. For example, the 3:00pm class will not begin until 3:10pm. 5:00pm conference will not begin until 5:10pm.

I found it is quite interesting how Berkeley students are proud of their "berkeley time." And I can't imagine that UW has "UW time," and Upitt has "Upitt time." Why does Berkeley have such a tradition of 10-minute-late timing?

hmm~~~Don't look at me. I don't have the answer.

2 comments:

Yun Gu said...

Aha, good to hear you are getting familiar with Berkeley life. Take care~~

Ning said...

有意思。。