Friday, January 7, 2011

1000 "Friends" on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1344281/Facebook-suicide-None-Simone-Backs-1-082-online-friends-helped-her.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

The news reminds me of one episode of Southpark in which one lonely kid tried to secure a friend online and ended up killing himself when his only facebook friend deleted his name from the friend list. Nowadays, if one doesn't have a facebook account, he/she could be thought of as an alien. If one doesn't have over one hundred friends listed in one's facebook page, he/she seem to be "out." And being "out" is a sin.

Facebook has some positive functions. It can bring a family closer and bring more like-minded people together. But it is only a communication tool, not the end of communication, not the communication itself. I don't know how one can have one hundred or over one thousand "friends." I also don't know the meaning of posing every details of daily activities online. What's the point of telling one's "friends" "I ate an apple," or "I got up at 11:00am"? Does telling the others everything one does/think/like/dislike help them know one better and more quickly? I doubt it.

No comments: